i can't believe it's only been 2 days since i walked off the plane at sydney's airport, and found the strength to push 2 trolleys of luggage through customs and quarantine (thank goodness i was warned about the strictness of not bringing ANY food, seeds, wood products, etc. into the country - they are not messing around here!). i had no problem finding jason standing front and center of the crowd gathered as soon as i got through the doors with his big grin and a bouquet of pink roses to welcome me to his country! here is a quick summary of the past 2 days here:
Day 1: we were picked up by jason's dad, paul and his wife, corynne and made our way back up the pacific highway (similar to hwy. 1 in california i guess), stopping in brooklyn for some lunch then finally arriving at their home near lake macquarie. after a much-needed nap, we went over to jason's grandparents house nearby and i had the pleasure of meeting more of his family. over the next few days, the whole family will be gathering to celebrate his grandparent's 60th wedding anniversary. wow!
Day 2: on our way back over to grandma and granddad's, i had my first driving experience on a few of the side streets leading over there. i honestly don't know what feels wierder - driving on the left side of the road or having the driver's seat on the right side of the car! we helped (or i helped observe!) getting the brand new "barbie" -an anniversary gift from the kids- unpacked and set up for it's first big bbq. Then it was fish & chips for lunch with the boys - jason, paul, granddad, and uncle ron. we met up with corryne and her mom later that afternoon, then took a driving tour of newcastle (saw the hospital where jason was born, an old house he lived in, etc) and saw some people surfing at one of the beaches. jason claims that's the first time i've probably ever seen "real" surf. it was pretty cool, i have to admit. last night, we had a bbq at jason's brother, simon's place with his mom, jan and sister, bianca.
overall, i am overwhelmed by the warm welcome i have received from each member of jason's family. they have all really made me feel so comfortable and at home here. i'm still working on my "g'day mate" and "how ya goin?" but i'm sure it will flow in no time! love to you all and looking forward to hearing from you soon!
Friday, February 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow...I can't believe you're really in Australia! You've already done alot for the first 2 days! I'm glad you made it safely and keep us posted! Have fun!
The Loveridges stole my comment! I can't believe you're really there, and I'm so glad to hear you made it safely! It sounds like you're already having an amazing time, surrounded by great people making you feel at home down under. Tell Jason I said hi.
I miss you already Anna! Take care and keep up the blogs.
tell jason i want roses when i come to visit... that's an aussi thing, right? ;-) i miss you.
I'm just really surprised you had time to blog already! Glad you made it safe and sound.
Oh, Travelzoo had a promo for like $1000 to Sydney from DC! ;)
Work sucks without you to procrastinate with! I miss you!!
Anna - So glad that you had a safe trip. I'm sure you are still resting up from all the travel. I love that you get to celebrate Jason's grandparents' 60th....what fun. Have a great time settling in. All my love - Jess
Post a Comment